I’m always looking for ways to use up the veggies that are in the fridge and this recipe is idea. Most children love sausage rolls – I say most because while my youngest will eat them, he doesn’t love them. These sausage rolls are full of good veggies and are perfect for lunch, dinner, snacks and parties.
A great way to get veggies into kids is by hiding them and there’s no guilty feeling when they push away a piece of broccoli because you’ve also put it into the sausage roll that they are demolishing!
- Puff or Shortcrust pastry (my family perhaps puff pastry but eats them both ways)
- 250g beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 large carrot, grated or chopped finely in the food processor
- Handful of mushrooms, grated or chopped finely in the food processor
- Handful of spinach/kale/other greens, chopped finely in the food processor
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 egg
- Breadcrumbs – I chop up two slices of bread in the food processor
- Herbs and spices (I usually use dried mix herbs or basil if there’s some in the garden)
- Salt and pepper to taste
*Use whatever veggies are in your fridge. Just ensure they’re chopped finely.
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 degrees fan force). Prepare a baking tray with baking paper. Take the pastry out of the freezer and cover with a tea towel until you’re ready to use it.
2. Mix the mince, veggies, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs and salt/pepper together in a bowl. You should be able to form a ball from the mixture and it stays together. If not, add another egg.
3. When softened, cut the pastry sheet in half. Spoon some of the mixture down one half of the pastry sheet, use egg wash around the edges, and fold over to close. Don’t overfill the pastry sheet or it will burst when cooking. Ensure the sides are pinched together.
4. Brush the outside of the pastry with egg wash. Cut into preferred size with a sharp knife. Repeat with remaining pastry sheets and mixture. Pop them close together on a baking tray and cook for 20 – 25 minutes depending on oven or once they turn a golden colour.
4. Allow to cool slightly then serve with your favourite sauce.