Time is going by way too fast. I remember the time I found out I was pregnant with you and the days you were born like it was yesterday. I remember the first few months as I struggled as a mum with both of you – first and second time mum – but enjoyed the days that we got through unscathed. The pain of initially breastfeeding and then the feeling of loss when I decided the time was right to stop. The sleepless nights – there were many – and the days were we smiled and laughed. The frustrating times especially through the age of 3 – gosh how I dislike that age! However I remember far more good days than not good.
As you grow up quickly there are a few things I’d like you to remember
- Manners. You cannot get through life without manners. They are the simplest things in life but they can say a thousand words to people about the type of person you are. Always remember your manners.
- Each other. You’re all you have. I know you hear me say that to you on a regular basis, especially when you’re arguing, but it’s true. Be there for each other through the good and bad times. Always have each other’s back.
- Honesty. Be honest and always tell the truth. Karma is a bitch and it will find a way to come back to those that lie.
- Work hard. Nothing worthwhile comes for free. You’ve had to earn your ‘pay’ from a young age and understand how to save if you really want something. I hope those lessons (and chores!) stand to you as you grow.
- Be respectful. To each other, family, friends, school, eventually work colleagues, strangers, the elderly. Most of all, be respectful to you. The world is made up of millions of people and it’s not all about you. Consider what others may be going through even if their life looks perfect from the outside (it usually isn’t and I’m a true believer in the saying ‘You never know what’s going on behind closed doors’).
- Love. Love like you’ve never loved before! There will be heartbreaks along the way but they will only make you stronger and hopefully lead you to true love. I’m sure you’re sick of me telling you I love you but it’s something I’ll always make sure you know.
No doubt there will be more things I want you to remember as you grow. But for now, remember these points and you will stand out amongst people for the right reasons.
Love you always