While I’ve managed to mix up the humble Vegemite sandwich to a Vegemite wrap or a Vegemite croissant for school lunches, I wanted to come up with something new for snacks. The weetbix slice has cropped up in the many lunch box posts that I’ve seen so I thought I’d give it a go over the weekend.
The boys had an early morning swim lesson on Saturday and then wanted to help Daddy in the veggie garden and put the compost bin together. I decided that was perfect timing to avoid any arguments that may come up and get into the kitchen to start baking! This recipe is altered from the version on Kidspot.
- 4 weetbix, crushed (I used gluten free version)
- 1 cup of Almond Meal
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1 heaped tablespoon of cacoa
- 90g butter
- 1/4 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (conventional oven)
- Melt the butter and mix with the crushed weetbix
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined
- Line a square cake tin with baking paper. Press the mixture into the base and bake for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, drizzle with your choice of topping eg chocolate, icing, coconut, peanut butter, Nutella etc. I used melted gluten free chocolate. Slice and enjoy!
These slices last up to 10 days in the fridge and can also be frozen.