I had a few bananas in the fridge that needed to be used. Usually I make banana bread but the boys asked for banana and choc chip muffins, and I said why not!
This recipe gave 12 moist and yummy muffins. It’s a healthy enough version that can be used for morning or afternoon tea or a snack in between.
- 60g butter, unsalted
- 2 cups of wholemeal self raising flour
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup of choc chips – feel free to add more!
- Preheat oven to 200C or 180C fan-forced. Use a silicone muffin tray which eliminates the need for oil or paper cases. If you don’t have one, line a muffin tray with paper cases. Melt butter in a small saucepan or heat-proof bowl in the microwave. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Stir in sugar. Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients.
- Using a whisk, lightly beat milk, eggs and butter in a jug. Add to dry ingredients along with mashed banana. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix ingredients until just combined. Stir in choc bits. Don’t beat the mixture or the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the silicone tray or muffin cases. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm on top when lightly touched. Leave in the tray for 5 minutes. Transfer the muffins to a rack to cool.
Trying to resist a warm muffin is hard!!